Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Timer experiment

Well its not really an experiment but a re-alignment. I tend to waste a lot of time when I get overwhelmed, worrying more about what to do instead of actually doing something... ANYTHING. So last week for the whole week I used a timer and I gave myself an hour to fully concentrate on each task that I had to do that day. I tutor kids in the morning and in the afternoons so most days I have 4-6 hour window to devote to my creative work. I started on Monday by making a list on my calender of the things I wanted to work on for the day...
clean the studio, make beads, work on purses, and work on portfolio pages. Cleaning the studio of course is a 6 hour job in its self, but I freak out when I know that I'm going to spend my whole day cleaning and not get any 'work' done.

So, its Saturday and the studio is almost clean, it got 4 hours worth this week, I made 200.00 worth of beads, I got 3 sets of portfolio pages done and painted 1 new collection, and I worked on three purses all about 50% complete. I also spent the extra time in my schedule to teach myself how to do a repeat pattern with a tutorial I found on line (4 months ago) and experimenting with a new tool I got for jewelry design.

I'm setting the timer again today. And I'm including my household work I never want to do, clean the bathroom, organize my closet and put away laundry. Ill let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Brenda Pinnick said...

Hi Kirsten,
I know the feeling, waaaaay too much to do. So much that sometimes I end up not doing anything but worry about what I should be doing...yikes.

I've started making lists for the day also. It helps keep me on track. This is one of the hard parts about being self employed, no boss lookin' over your shoulder! It takes a lot of self discipline, that's for sure.
xxxoooo
B.